Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Of Generations

I'm on my 11th generation of babies.

Seriously.

Think about. How many generations have you seen come and go in your life time?

Generation 1: My step brothers
Generation 2: My step cousins
Generation 3: My IU friends' babies
Generation 4: Stepbrother's girls
Generation 5: My nephs.
Generation 6: My god kids
Generation 7: My college buddies' babies (interestingly everyone has two except the Frogs who welcomed three to be the trend breaker)
Generation 8: My drinking buddies' kids
Generation 9: My workmates' babies
Generation 10: My cousin's kids
Generation 11: My law school kids' kids

All this got me thinking about what exactly is a family - and who decides who is your family?

I have three fathers, I've been the only, the oldest, the youngest. I've had grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, uncles, friends too numerous to name but all added something to the calaloo that is me. What makes up a family?

I think it is this simple: Whoever has a claim on your heart is your family. Titles don't matter. The imprint does.

1 comment:

CmentMixer said...

Truer words are rarely spoken. I am glad you are in my family.